A personal injury claim can be obtained from the negligent party. It is not an easy task because the money is involved at every step. No one wants to pay for the losses of someone else even if he was responsible for them in the first place. That’s why, the first step to take is to contact a BRIDGEPORT PERSONAL INJURY ATTORNEY, who can review the case and suggest the best way to obtain money from the liable party. There are two scenarios to get it. One is through the settlement and another is through a lawsuit. Let’s discuss both.
Settlement of personal injury claims
In this scenario, both parties agree to the same terms and conditions and the amount to be paid for the losses such as medical bills. An agreement is prepared and signed in the presence of your lawyer if this happens successfully. The key takeaways for this option are:
- The person can get the money as soon as possible. If he needs compensation because he needs to pay for his medical bills, he may choose to settle the claim. In this, he may even accept the first offer made by the party.
- While it may take a shorter time, the person will not be able to get as much money as he can get if he files a lawsuit. If he has enough time and patience, he should file a case and try to obtain a fair amount.
- It is an easier way to get money without any stress, court visits and hassles.
Personal Injury lawsuits
Many a time, the lawyer figures out that the claim amount offered by the liable party is way too less than the actual expenses. He will decide to go ahead and file a lawsuit. In this, the claimant will go to court and wait until the judge reviews the facts and rewards the compensation. What he can get from this method is elaborated below:
- It is a stressful process and needs you to visit court many times. You will have to wait for money to get rewarded, which may take several months. If you need it immediately, settlement may be your best bet.
- The money you get through court may be higher than the settlement because your losses would be evaluated properly.
Depending on what your financial and medical conditions are, you can make the right choice.